Re: Technical writing salaries

Subject: Re: Technical writing salaries
From: "Kat Nagel" <kat_nagel -at- rte -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:53:45 -0400

> If 3 years constitutes a "senior tech writer," then what does that
make a
> tech writer who has 10-15 years experience?

Well, from personal experience,
17 years as a research chemist
+ 14 years as a freelance techwriter
----
too expensive for most corporate budgets

I've lost count of the times I've bid on a contract and lost out to
an entry-level writer who would accept an entry-level rate. And
(until very recently <smile>) the direct-hire positions I've been
offered have included pitiful salaries.

In two cases, the company that turned my bid down was lucky; they
got a superb beginner who was a talented writer, learned the
industry and technology quickly, and did a very good job for them.

In the remaining cases (several dozen in the last 5 years), I
generally got a call from the manager about 9-18 months later asking
me to do the 'revision'. Since 'revision' in these cases usually
involved rewriting tra<deleteword>less-than-optimal documentation
from scratch when the original developers are no longer available, I
charged double for it. Got it, too, usually without a whimper.
Corporate bean counters seem willing to pay whatever it takes for
repairs, but not for excellent originals.

Kat Nagel
Senior Technical Writer
Real Time Enterprises http://www.rte.com
kat_nagel -at- rte -dot- com