RE: "One of these" versus "Either of these"

Subject: RE: "One of these" versus "Either of these"
From: "Ezriel Yellin" <ezriely -at- fundtech -dot- co -dot- il>
To: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:43:57 +0200

Hello Michael

I tend to agree with you. When I see the words "Do one of the following..."
My assumption is that each item in the list has some unique quality. On the
other hand, if the word "one" is replaced with "either", then the
subconcious seems to say "either one or the other - they are the same."
Another idea, based on a quick, unscientific survey: "either" implies two
options, for example:
To restart your computer do either of the following:
* Press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys on your keyboard.
* Press the big red button on the tower case marked "Emergency Restart".

..but "one of..." implies a list of items that may or may not have
different results; for example:
If your computer stops responding for more than 30 minutes do one of the
following:
* Press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys on your keyboard.
* Press the big red button on the tower case marked "Emergency Restart".
* Hit every key on the keyboard hard enough to sprain your wrist.
* Throw the darned thing off the roof.

regards

Ezriel Yellin
Technical Writer
Fundtech Ltd.
Ramat Gan, Israel

- - - - you wrote - - - -

Folks,

I thought you might be able to give me some input on a question relating to
the wording of instructions in a software user guide.

I'm thinking about the difference between "Do one of the following" and "Do
either of the following" when used to introduce two optional actions.

They are very close in meaning, but when I read "Do one of the following", I
get the idea that there MIGHT be different results from the two options,
whereas "Do either of the following" suggests to me that the two options
will
have the same result.