Re: Appendixes?

Subject: Re: Appendixes?
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:36:20 -0700

At 12:25 PM -0700 4/15/2000, RELKZONE -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
>In the material I am editing I ran across the plural "appendixes," which I
> have never heard before. [...] "indexes" vs. "indices."
> So my question to you is, have you ever heard of "indexes"? If you have, is
>that an accceptable/accepted form of the word? Can I say that one form is
>"more correct" than the other?

Either one is acceptable in general usage. (I'm actually a little surprised
that you haven't seen "appendixes" before - that variant seems more common
to me.)

Which one should be used in a given situation is mostly a matter of
consistency - internal consistency within the document, of course, but also
consistency within a company's documentation. Does the style guide call for
one or the other form?

I usually use the Anglicized forms, just because the Latinate ones seem a
little precious to me, at least when referring to parts of a book. But it's
a matter of taste and custom.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com

Currently seeking technical-writing contracts:
http://www.jaedworks.com/tech-services/resume.html