Re: How many have this problem at work?

Subject: Re: How many have this problem at work?
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:45:52 -0700

"Marc A. Santacroce" wrote:
my boss does not want me to receive any more messages from
outside the company. please stop sending me messages/take me off
the list, when i get a personal account, i'll let you know.

I'm wondering if the above policy is common. I certainly find lists,
and this list in particular extremely helpful. I wouldn't work for a
company that put this this kind of a lid on internet use.

======
Many companies are sensititve about getting outside messages into their
system because this information ends up on their servers and on their
backups. They can be sued if pornographic, sexual harassment, or other
unacceptable data is found on their servers. They don't want to incur
any legal expenses or take the chance of losing in court because they
didn't control the information coming into their system.

If you have a technical need for data, you may want to talk to the
system administrator and see if they can filter your messages so you can
continue to receive valuable input. Some companies may allow this,
while others may not.

Good Luck!
-Dianne Blake
write-it -at- home -dot- com