RE: "parallelize"

Subject: RE: "parallelize"
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:43:44 -0600

> In data warehousing parallelizing a partition makes sense. I would leave
> the text alone. The whole point behind partitions is to make the
> data structures in the partition's related cubes parallel.

That is the point of the technology.

The point of the documentation, however, is to help the users do their jobs.
Yes, if the users are versed in or committed to the technology, it would
probably be a good idea to use the standard terminology associated with it.

If, however, they are neither committed to nor versed in it, the best way to
go about explaining the technology to them is to make it as transparent and
as painless as possible. Using technical jargon is only going to cause them
discomfort and unnecessary brain-churning.

> This is the second thread related to technical terms today.
> When a technical person uses a technical term, don't assume that they are
> speaking gobbledy grock, or that they are illiterate, or stupid just
> because you don't understand the terms. Get an appropriate reference to
> terminology in the field you are working. And, you can always pick up the
> phone and ask the SME, since they did your job writing the thing in the
first
> place, what the hell the word means. Rest assured they know what the words

> they wrote mean.Even if you don't. Give them the respect that you want
them
> to show you.

I am really digging this worldview here. It makes decisions so much easier,
conceptions so much cleaner and unambiguous. Them smartypants engineers are
always right, never inarticulate or unclear, never recalcitrant or inclined
toward obfuscation. I will start asking them how to do my job, I think. I'm
sure they're well versed in audience analysis and how to use voice, content,
and structure to design user aids that are functional, economical, and
compelling. And above all, they would never make up a big word to make
themselves sound smart.

<Lots of really awesome and wicked burns deleted.>

I am going to go tell my boss that I am stupid and that he should kick my
butt now.

Lisa.