Re: trusting one's sources

Subject: Re: trusting one's sources
From: "Lora M Beene" <lorab -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "John Wilcox" <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:22:16 -0500

That is why I like to use the anonymous ones like the following!

God, grant me the Senility
To forget the people
I never liked anyway,
The good fortune
To run into the ones I do,
And the eyesight
To tell the difference.

AMEN

Sometime, somewhere, someone has said it...like I just did. : )

Now the question of how sure can you be about your source is a valid one.
The have said for years that George Washington cut down an apple tree, but
now they say "new" information says he didn't. It is the same for any source
in a documented piece of material. If you can show that it is at least
documented somewhere else then at least another person believes the fact,
quote, etc to be true. There are always two sides to a story, but we would
never get anything done if we always had to pick which was right and which
was wrong.

How do we know what is "historically" right and what's not? I'm not sure we
can, but research always helps, IF you have the time. I am a History major
and have heard tons of different kinds of "stories," and "truths," but I
have no time to make sure they are correct. That will come in when I get to
grad school, but that doesn't mean I can't question it now. Since I am a
tech writer at this point though I don't have that leisure either. So just
pick what you think describes you or you like or what's needed for a
document. Then hope to goodness your boss cares more about your steps than
your quotes or that friends don't think you are totally off your rocker with
something off the wall in your sig. : )

Just my few cents worth.

As always,

Lora M Beene
Vice Admiral of Learning
317.562.9298
www.simplywritten.com
Check our website for information on Clustar (tm) Structured Writing classes
being given May 23-24, June 21-22, September 27-28, November 8-9, and
January 24-25, 2001