When in doubt (was Variations on a task)

Subject: When in doubt (was Variations on a task)
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:05:57 -0600

> re: ... how do y'all deal with documenting several different ways of
> accomplishing the same task?

When in doubt, I think about writing a style manual for other writers (an
audience I belong to and have immediate access to). Try it. Describe how
to create a pdf in Frame (there are at least two ways). Describe how to set
up a book file (again two or three ways). Test it on a new writer or two.
What do they like? There's your personal answer and you have some training
materials to boot.

Of course, user testing always provides a multitude of answers. Choose one
and be consistent in all manuals.

From the soapbox,
Walden Miller
Manager, Technical Documentation