Re: Writing for Programmers

Subject: Re: Writing for Programmers
From: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:45:29 -0400

Shelley Hoose wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I've recently started a new job in which I am documenting software for
> programmers. It's Java with SQL Server at the back end. I don't really
know
> anything about this stuff <snip>

Shelley,

Try chatting with the folks who developed the software you are documenting.
Most software developers today are using Software Developer's Kits (SDKs),
tools suites, etc. which usually provide a programming environment with a
GUI interface (for Windows platforms anyway). There aren't many diehards
left who use just an ASCII editor, a compiler and a linker.

Ask them how they use the doc for the tools they are using and look over
that doc set yourself. It may provide good insight into how the users of
what you are documenting like to work. Generally speaking developers use
doc for reference. They've figured their way around different kinds of took
kits, interfaces, developer's utilities, etc. and just "want the facts."

Good luck,
Steve MacDonald
Aspect Telecommunications, Inc.