Re: The 10,000 Mile Telecommute

Subject: Re: The 10,000 Mile Telecommute
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:48:18 -0700

Jean Weber wrote:

> If anyone's interested, the techwriter concerned is Sid (whose last name
> I've forgotten). His website is:
>
> http://www.officeodyssey.com/
>
> I first discovered Syd when he and his girlfriend (now wife) Kristanne were
> touring around North America. His tales of finding places and ways to
> upload his files each day were quite instructive, as well as entertaining.
> He gave me several good ideas for doing the same thing here in Australia.

Jean -

One of the first of these nomads is Steve Roberts, who bicycled around North
America over the course of several years carrying more computing power than
most people have in an office. I've forgotten his URL, but his journals (and
some excerpts from his book) are available via AOL. He appears at trade shows
from time to time, has been on national TV a number of times, and has been a
traveling demonstration of what you can do with portable technology. He had
one of the first helmet visors that projected a screen image on the faceplate,
so that he could type (using handlebars with a chording keyboard) while
pedaling his recumbent bicycle. The bike pulled a trailer that had a GPS and
wireless hookup so he could send and receive messages anywhere. In the last
couple of years he's focused his energies on applying the same technologies to
floating vehicles.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems