Ratio - Work load

Subject: Ratio - Work load
From: "Guy A. McDonald" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:50:03 -0500

> If you want to be careful about grammar and spelling and
> the like, good for you. If not, that's your choice too.

What a lead in ... nope, not on this list -- too busy to sweat the small
stuff. What I want is some data from a survey to discover a few ratios
within this group.

This informal survey is only ONE question -- and requires all of 30 seconds
for you to complete.
~~~~~~~~~
Q. How many developers per writer are in your company and what is the size
of your company?
~~~~~~~~~
For example -

"Hey Guy, I deal with 30 developers on 5 active projects. 2 projects are up
for new release, 2 are 2nd/3rd/etc. generation and one is in low maintenance
mode because the product will sunset next year."

yadda yadda yadda

Why ask? Simply because I am making a career change and have a few
assumptions that require confirmation. However, I can acquire a great
sampling from this list since many of you work in software development.

So if you please, take a moment and send me a feel for the industry -
leaning towards a software/hardware development slant. I'll post the results
later.

NOTE: If you know of a source which identifies a telltale (the ratio I use
here) of the average work load within our ranks, please
post_to_the_list_now. Otherwise, please send me your answers to the email
address listed beneath my signature.

//Information about other means to identify a writer's workload are
welcome - but for now, I am only interested in this one crude method//

Thanks!

Guy McDonald
guy -at- nstci -dot- com