Enabled ... Active ... "Enterable" ... yeesh.

Subject: Enabled ... Active ... "Enterable" ... yeesh.
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:24:06 -0500

Help!
I know that, fairly recently, there was some discussion on what to call an
enabled field - a field into which it is possible to make an entry.
I cannot, of course, *find* the relevant e-mail, either in my own archives
or in the ones on the techwr-l site (all I find is the thread on allow vs.
enable, which was fascinating but isn't what I'm looking for). And now, I
would like to think of a better way of saying this.
Here's one of the offending instances:
"Click the Add button. The next available line becomes enabled."
(Meaning that the next line that doesn't already have an entry becomes
available for making an entry.)
The Microsoft Manual of Style suggests using "make available" or something
similar, but I'm not convinced that's really much better.
Suggestions? Pointers to the old thread on this?
TIA,

Beth Scudder
Technical Editor/Writer
Retek, Inc