Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: Kathy10th -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 22:16:57 EDT

<< Lydia Wong wrote:

<<One of our favorite questions to ask interviewees is "what are the three
<<best and the three worst traits of your former managers?"

>Mark Baker responded:

>I am disturbed by question of this sort being used in interviews. (I don't
>mean to pick in this example or on Lydia in particular, my compliant is
>against the whole genre of such questions. "What is your greatest weakness?"
>is a classic of the genre. Their use is very widespread.) >>

I never thought to look at it that way. To me these types of questions are a
way for the interviewer to find out how objectively you are able to look at
the things and people around you. Another point to consider; if I'm not
introspective enough to know, and self-confident enough to state what my
greatest weakness is, how can I ever hope to overcome it?

Or, maybe I'm just oblivious to mind games.

Kathy Kurth
Technical Communicator II
Graebel Companies, Inc.