RE: How Skilled Are You?

Subject: RE: How Skilled Are You?
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:18:08 -0400

> From: Dianne Blake[SMTP:write-it -at- home -dot- com]
>
> I found this listing for a technial writer on a Job Fair web URL.

<SNIP>
> Technical Writer
> Date Posted: 03/10/00 Start Date: ASAP
> Job Type: Full Time
>
> Two year degree of equivalent experience is required. Must have 6 months
> experience with Web development of a Microsoft NT environment be
> familiar with HTML, Web page design/graphics creation layout, internet
> and directory design and posses a willingness to learn new skills.
> Desired skills would include Database application using Oracle, SQL+ and
> Microsoft Access, Network Management, NT Server, Netscape Enterprise
> Server, Microsoft FrontPage, and Adobe Acrobat.

I agree that this posting asks for a lot, and I agree that the pay probably
isn't going to satisfy someone who is an expert in most of these areas. (I
can either qualify or fake the qualifications if I have to, but I don't have
to, thank Baste.)

It looks like a typical shopping list that says, to me, we're asking for the
moon, but we'll probably settle for something in Low Earth Orbit if that's
the best we can get. I evaluate such posts for what they tell me about the
hiring company. First, they DO need a writer rather desperately <g>.
Second, I know a lot about the tools they are using and can decide whether I
want to work with those tools. Third, it looks like they want someone who
can work end-to-end on projects, using any and all of the tools if
necessary.

I might invest a cover letter-type inquiry if I was interested, but I
wouldn't hold out a lot of promise that the job was one I would want.

But that's just my own thought process, at the end of a long and trying day.
(And it's only Wednesday. Sheesh!)

Tom Murrell