Re[2]: ..impersonating a technical writer...

Subject: Re[2]: ..impersonating a technical writer...
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com
Date: 05 Apr 2000 14:46:24 -0500

Tony Wrote:

>My passion is utilizing data flow diagrams as the basis for
organizing highly end-user focused technical communications (including
end-user manuals, software requirements specifications, and training
materials). I don't always get to fully employ the power of data flow
diagrams on a project. However, when I able to do such:

* I have an excellent idea of what I am doing.
* I know exactly how I am doing it.
* I have an excellent idea of what the final output will look like.
* I have an excellent idea of where I will be when I am finished.<

Looks like my earlier statements were too generalized and
misunderstood.

I guess my real point is that if a company or an individual is on the
leading edge (bleeding edge) of some new technology or new
environment, then there is lots of experimenting, lots of trial and
error, going on. I might add that if a tech writer or the company is
not on the leading edge of some technology or some tool set, the tech
writer and the company are falling behind.

On the other hand, when we are using a certain technology or a certain
tool (e.g., Word) for the nth time, then it would be expected that we
know exactly what we are doing and how to do it. This situation is not
what I was referring to in my earlier rant.

My passion is translating technical computer information to the level
required by the target audience. For me, this is a given. I know how
to do this. I've been doing it successfully for years. If I didn't
know how to do this, how could I be a technical writer? Again, this
situation is not what I was referring to in my earlier rant.

Jim Hager
hhager -at- dttus -dot- com