RE: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: RE: Advice for Job Seekers
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:22:41 -0400

Mark Baker suggested:

> The best way to handle this is to ask: "Tell me about a time
> that you had an
> disagreement with your manager. What was the disagreement
> about and how did
> you resolve it?"

If I faced you in an interview, and you asked me that
question, I'd probably have to make something up.

I simply don't remember stuff like that.

Of course, I've been blessed with either quite good
or quite absent managers for the past ... er, many
years.

Damn! Now that I think about it, if I gave a truthful,
off-the-cuff answer to the traits-you-hated question,
I'd come off as Poly-Anna. Except for one in the late
1980s, I've been blessed with respect to the people I've
reported to. As I look back, they've all been good people
who either adapted their approach to employees as necessary,
or who happened to be locked into a management style that
worked fine with me. There's not more than one about whom
I couldn't truthfully say I respected and liked them and
would be pleased to renew the acquaintance. Even the one
who fired me -- well, ok, laid me off -- it was a nice
touch that she had tears in her eyes at the time... :-)

(Of course there WAS that director named Cheri ______ whose
resemblance to a Mac truck included her "management" style
and personal sensitivity. She was a single, brief exception
in decades of employment and not a direct report. Satan?
Nah. Satan has more finesse. One of the under-demons.)

But would you believe me in an interview? Hell, even *I*
think I must be hiding something.

Aplomb. Must work on aplomb. First, must locate round-tuit.

/k