Re: Bidding on Editing Work

Subject: Re: Bidding on Editing Work
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: emmy_aricioglu -at- hp -dot- com
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 12:17:31 -0400

"Light editing" is a euphamism for "the client does not want to pay you
properly for this job and thinks that editing is an advanced secretarial
skill."

Depending on your friend's skill and experience, I figure $30 to $50 per
hour is reasonable (I'm not in the midwest, however), and maybe 5 to 10
pages per hour would be the rate of work (so 50/10 = 5$/page) but that
is per pass, and if you are "working with the designer and the printer"
then break it down as follows:

5 pages/hour = one pass copyediting
10 pages/hour for further changes introduced as you go.
15 pages/hour = proofreading (that is, checking the proof pages created
by the printer to make sure they are the same as the final draft you
provided to the printer--that is what proofreading is, AND NOTHING
ELSE).

thus,
If 850 is your page count, then

[(850/5 + 850/10 + 850/15) * hourly rate] / 850 = $/page

By my estimate, your "light edit" should take about 312 hours, which at
$30 = $9360

9360/850 = $11.01 / page

At $50, it would be more.

Chris Kowalchuk