RE: should be a tool list serv...

Subject: RE: should be a tool list serv...
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Kevin Feeman" <Kevin -dot- Feeman -at- micromass -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:43:17 -0500

Kevin

I guess part of the 'challenge' is that almost every discussion that deals
with the 'format/style' of the written word (in our business) is
dramatically influenced by the tool being used to express your information.

As I have NEVER even seen Framemaker/Pagemaker, RoboHelp, etc, it helps me
get an understanding of the problems that are inherent in each of the tools
that others use. Some of the information being provided, based on the
'responders' response has helped me make better use of the tool "I" use. (I
work with Word, and some WordPerfect, and occasionally, WordPro).

As a large of techwriters are 'rent-a-kids', it helps to know what might be
'just-around-the-corner' (that is, the next contract).

Tech Writers, and every other profession, needs to have a knowledge of
tools. But we especially need to share information about the various tools
so that when the "boss" asks us about a 'new tool' he/she wants to buy, we
can provide input.

For me, this list answers part of that need. It also serves as a single
point of reference for me, as the other posters do, in some cases, refer the

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."