Silently screaming

Subject: Silently screaming
From: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:03:38 -0800

The coordinator for our tech pubs team is considering hiring a friend of a
friend. She asked her friend to send a couple of writing samples, which she
then forwarded to the rest of us for review. The first sample is a college
essay discussing lesbianism in China; the second, an apologia for the Nation
of Islam. My problem with these samples is not their political content, but
their complete irrelevance to tech writing. However, our coordinator is
seriously considering hiring the writer, who would have to relocate from NY
to Sunnyvale, CA.

I have no question for all of you, just a silent scream. Well, perhaps one
question: have any of you faced something similar?

--Robert