Resume Length

Subject: Resume Length
From: Cronista -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com (TECHWR-L)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:45:00 EST

Hello, group!
I'm new here, and this is my first posting.
I've been constantly employed as a contract technical writer for 25 years.
Only twice in those years has anyone complained about the length of my
resume. Both times they were HR folks, not the people doing the hiring nor
the individuals needing awriter.
For jobs in the last 5 years or so, I include the name of my supervisor and
his/her work phone number. I put this as the last sentence in each job
description.
I have worked on dozens of jobs, and in addition have hired dozens of
technical writers, engineers, illustrators, etc. So I've seen both sides of
the resume question. My conclusion is that the truth is the best. Not truth
as opposed to a lie, but the truth about where you worked, when, and what you
did there. If this truth spreads to more than three pages, so be it. I have
on occasion submitted a more brief resume and been asked for the longer
version. Only in the two cases mentioned did some HR person not want to
submit my resume because it was too long.
Not only that, but my resume tracks exactly with the information that updates
my secret clearance data.
Regarding a portfolio... samples.... I have none, and have never been asked
for any. A glance at my resume would indicate to a client that if some
company brought me back 5 times, some others 3 or 4 times and six companies
"used me" 2 times, what could be the point of asking me if I had any samples
of my work?
Currently I am on contract documenting installation, programming, operation,
and maintenance of robotic equipment that handles silicon wafers before and
after processing in horizontal diffusion furnaces. FrameMaker is the client's
choice for this documentation. A very high-resolution digital camera provides
most of the illustrations. CAD-generated drawings and CorelDraw provide the
rest.
Best Regards to All
Charles Jay
Phoenix Arizona