RE: Average Length of TW Resume

Subject: RE: Average Length of TW Resume
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:48:11 -0500

At 07:11 AM 03/30/2000 -0500, Win Day wrote:
>>... show a portfolio of samples to demonstrate our skills and versatility.)
>Ah, but some of us can't do that. The material I
>write for almost all of my clients is proprietary...

Under those circumstances, wouldn't it be possible to write something
highlighting your best writing? It wouldn't matter if it were directions
for boiling water; the point is that it be something that you feel shows
off your best efforts. That would enable you to show SOMETHING to
prospective employers, to whom you could explain that your professional
writings all contain proprietary information which you obviously cannot
show anyone else.

Even better, perhaps you could volunteer to do some form of technical
writing for your church, temple, or charitable organization (or write an
article for publication).
The point is that any of these options would at least give you a sample to
show, and your explanation about proprietary information would clearly
demonstrate why other samples weren't available.

"Scottie"
(The Scottish Terrier Lover)