Re: Average Length of TW Resume

Subject: Re: Average Length of TW Resume
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Sarah O'Keefe" <okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:52:59 -0800 (PST)

> Gee thanks, John. Let me repeat what I said a little
> differently:
>
> * I don't like long resumes.
> * I am a hiring manager.
>
> Draw your own conclusions.

OK. let me phrase this differently...

Nope...Mine's longer than three pages and neither
agencies or interviewers THAT HAVE SEEN THE RESUME,
have ever complained.

> Gee thanks, John. Let me repeat what I said a little
> differently:
>
> * I don't like long resumes.
> * I am a hiring manager.
>
> Draw your own conclusions.
>
> If your resume's artistic integrity as a three-page
> (or longer document) is
> important to you, that's fine. But for many
> managers, who have to scan lots
> and lots of resumes, a long resume will not score
> any bonus points because
> you made their job more difficult.

If as a hiring manager, you are going to eliminate a
resume because it takes 30 seconds longer to scan
regardless of the content, then you're right..it is
best if neither of us wastes our time.

> You should tailor your resume to the requirements of
> the hiring manager
> (assuming that you want the interview and/or job).

How about tailoring the resume to the requirements of
the position?

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com