Re: What is Folio?

Subject: Re: What is Folio?
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- ptc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:17:21 -0700

Folio is a document database tool, basically. You can import documents from
Word and then create hyperlinks within a single Folio doc or to others.
Folio also imports any paragraph and character styles you've created. The
big problem with Folio is that there is NO UNDO. And it is prone to having
errors.

The nice thing is that it's pretty straightforward. I learned it on my own,
using what I know from other software. Had a class much later down the line
and learned some nifty tricks, but the training wasn't necessary to do my
job.

PeopleSoft uses this tool for all their online help. The writer can create
F1 jumps from the PeopleSoft panels to the help documentation.

It's been almost 10 months, but there is a conflict between, I believe,
Folio and Word 97. If you're importing text, it's preferable to import from
Word 95.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I worked with it in the
PeopleSoft context for almost two years. I'm not sure how other companies
use it, but I've seen Web sites where companies use it for document
repositories.

Lisa Wright