Estimating Online Help Schedule

Subject: Estimating Online Help Schedule
From: emmy_aricioglu -at- hp -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:59:57 -0800

I've been assigned to my first online help project and
need to deliver a development schedule to the team. The
(software) product is new, to be released August 1, and
the GUI may not be ready at the release date. If the GUI
is not ready, the product will need command line help. I'm
assuming now that I will just do the best job possible under
the circumstances and that opportunity to perfect (or actually
create) the online help will be available at next release.

I'm wondering if those of you experienced in this type of
situation would care to share your project schedule with me.
How do you estimate how long it will take to create online help
(as I've defined above)? Do you count backwards from the release
date to find your "begin development" date? Or do you have a
firm development schedule that you adhere to and then use other
tactics to manage expectations, if you get my drift <g>?

Regards,
Emmy
emmy_aricioglu -at- hp -dot- com