RE: On degrees and the like...

Subject: RE: On degrees and the like...
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Chuck Martin'" <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:26:33 -0500

I'm not giving short shrift to the technical side--matter of fact, I know
what happens when the mfc42.dll goes in the wrong place. But I didn't need
an engineering degree to understand how to find out what happens and what to
do to prevent it. I learned by experience, and I found the solution by
talking to the programmers and administrators who had the answers.

I've spent the last three years designing UI in addition to building help
files, web sites, and writing specifications, proposals and manuals.
Designing good UI is just as much knowing the principles of visual
COMMUNICATION as it is programming. Most programmers I work with ask for my
help, or a Product Manager's, when trying to design the UI, because they
know how to code, and we know how the users want to work with it. I have
the greatest respect in the world for good programmers and developers (or
any kind of engineering). But they can't do their jobs without us, and we
can't do our jobs without them. It behooves us all to respect what each
brings to the table.

And in all my experience, the best technical communicators are those that
are communicators first, technically savvy second. You may have found
otherwise, but I most often have found it's infinitely less expensive to
teach a good writer about the engineering requirements of a product than to
teach an engineer to communicate about the product to an end user. We are
lucky enough to have lots of good writers whose educational background is an
engineering discipline, but don't give me short shrift because mine is not.
The key is ability to communicate.

Connie Giordano