Re: In Search of a Class

Subject: Re: In Search of a Class
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:18 +0100 (BST)

> "effectively capturing software application functionality content. This
> class should focus on how to best extract meaningful information from
> the source and translate that information into a content rich
> documentation suite that is very useful to the users."
> (His words here, not mine.)

Perhaps he should attend a Clear English course?

Source code is not a good basis for documentation. Would he suggest that
the an analysis of metallurgy involved in building a car would help the
driver find his way to the shops?

Software is generally used to perform some business task or other: the
documentation tells you how: the software does the spadework.

The source code is normally of no interest to the end user, so why waste
time with it?

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk