Re: Student responsibilities, was Degrees

Subject: Re: Student responsibilities, was Degrees
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:10:12 -0500

To this point, most of the discussion here seems to have revolved around the
institutions' curricula and goals. But to my mind, the value of a tech comm
degree program is that it offers the student a vast amount of information to
soak up.

Granted, a degree may not prepare the student for "a job", but that's not
the purpose of a college degree anyway. If a student takes full advantage of
what's offered to her, the head start it affords her will be breathtaking.
We shouldn't expect new graduates to be able to immediately function as
veterans. No graduates do. Not lawyers, doctors, or accountants. Nobody.
It's well-known that new engineers can take up to three to five years to
become fully useful within a company, and the engineer's course of study can
be more objectively quantified than ours.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com