Writing it down vs. good ol' learning (Was: Worthless Tech Comm D egrees)

Subject: Writing it down vs. good ol' learning (Was: Worthless Tech Comm D egrees)
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth_scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: "'John Posada'" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:17:14 -0600

Andrew Plato said:
> ....and never a moment devoted to learning
> how to digest information.

Then John Posada commented:
>It always amazes me that the person will concentrate
>so heavily on writing down what is done step by step,
>vs watching, asking questions, and getting to KNOW how
>to do it.
<snip>
>How do people learn this way? What happens if they
>need to copy the material at home and their notes are
>at work? Doesn't anyone just learn things anymore?
<snip>

Just one point here: People *do* have different learning styles.
Some learn best by doing, others by watching, others by reading, and still
others by writing. That's why a good training program or "getting started"
type of guide will include descriptive text, instructive text, diagrams,
pictures or screen shots, and exercises.

So while some people may learn best by sitting down and trying out a
program or function, others may do better by watching, writing it down, and
then reading it later. Having done that, it's imbedded in their brains and
they can do it wherever it's necessary.

I grant you, if the frantic scribbler of notes never re-reads the
notes, or never tries to do the operation on his/her own, then the notes
will be pretty useless.

TTFN,

--Beth