RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: Melanie Shook <mshook -at- com2001 -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:17:43 -0600

Al Rubottom wrote:

<snip>Framemaker is a firsst-rate tool but is much harder to learn</snip>
[than PageMaker]

Not to pick on Al, because I've seen this idea repeated here many times, but
when I started this job 7 months ago they were using PageMaker. I
recommended they switch to FrameMaker, which I had never used before, even
though our manuals are only about 100 pages each. And I am so glad I did.
Not only was FrameMaker *easier* to learn (and I had used PageMaker briefly
before), it would have been extremely difficult for me to manage TOCs,
Indexes, cross-references and tables in PageMaker with the ease I do it in
Frame. I use conditional text extensively for single-sourcing, which is not
even available with PageMaker.

For me, Frame was easy to learn (the basics and more), and it was definitely
the right tool for what I'm doing. Of course, if the students are primarily
doing marketing materials, PageMaker would be better. My point is just that
I do not think FrameMaker is more difficult to learn at all - just
different.

Melanie Shook
Technical Writer
COM2001.com