Do Customers Have Implicit, Unspecified Right to Documentation?

Subject: Do Customers Have Implicit, Unspecified Right to Documentation?
From: "Joe" <jsokohl -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L digest" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 02:08:10 -0800

Hi all,
Here's the situation:
* Custom software for one client.
* Contract does not specify documentation of any sort...nor does any project plan.
* Customer now feels he should not have to pay extra for documetation.

I have created a proposal to do info planning/specifying/creating/delivering. I am reluctant to say whether users get online help (and whether it is context-sensitive or not), printed procedures, reference manual, quick-ref guides, until I perform info planning...and can specify the library. Same with systems doc.
Client says, "We expect 'normal' documentation to be implied in the delivery of software." When pressed what "normal" means, client says, "Oh, you know, admin guide, user's guide, c/s online help...Word documents and stuff."

Comments would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
joe

---
Our fears are like dragons, guarding our most precious treasures.
___Rainer Marie Rilke