Re: MS Word Master Document to PDF

Subject: Re: MS Word Master Document to PDF
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: Techwr-L post <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:23:59 -0800

Susan Kirsch wrote:

> I'd like to chime in with David Brown and request tips and/or horror stories
> regarding conversion of a MS Word master document to a PDF file.

I've spent a good deal of today learning that--in Windows 98 with 64 MB of RAM--Acrobat Distiller (or someone) chokes before completing the second phase of converting a 1775-page Word 2000 document--Word simply stops responding and has to be "axed" by hand.

As an experiment, I removed most of the tables, which allowed the process to complete. Next, I'll probably try comverting the table-heavy document on a machine with more RAM.

I still have to see how well Sonar Bookends does on converting the finished index to hypertext, once I've got a satisfactory PDF.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!