Re: Mentoring

Subject: Re: Mentoring
From: "Rick Ramsey" <rick -dot- ramsey -at- east -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:35:41 -0500

Kimber,

I'll volunteer, too, though I'm a little nervous about doing it over the
web. I've mentored writers before face to face, and sometimes the results
were good. A lot depends on what the aspiring writers want to get out of
the experience. So, to set some expectations about how I may or may not be
useful:

1. I won't help you find a job.
2. I won't edit your work.
3. I won't help you get ahead in your career.
4. I won't help you look good in front of anybody.
5. There will be times when I'm simply not available.

What I can and will do is help you figure out how you can do good technical
writing, how you can manage your project successfully, and how you can find
a solution to your tech writing problems.

Everybody has their own interpretation of what a mentor is. Speaking for
myself, a mentor is not a teacher. A teacher instructs or provides
information; a mentor simply guides. So if ask me how to use Frame, I'll
tell you to go buy a book.

Rick