Re: MS Word Master Document

Subject: Re: MS Word Master Document
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Andriene Ferguson" <Andriene -dot- Ferguson -at- concisetech -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:03:52 -0500

Convert them immediately. Do not wait. Now. I'm not kidding.

The master doc feature is notorious for being utterly capricious. It may
work fine for years, then abruptly lose its mind and disconnect all or some
of the subdocuments. Even Word wizards won't use it. It is broken, a plague
upon the earth. And I have some negative comments, too.

If you want to link documents together, do it with fields. Master doc is
like playing catch with a slushy snowball.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com