SUMMARY: FrameMaker and Windows 2000

Subject: SUMMARY: FrameMaker and Windows 2000
From: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:46:19 -0500

A few weeks ago, I wrote to ask for suggestions on how to deal with a VP
who insists that we switch from Windows 95 to Window 2000 in the midst of a
deadline crunch. Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer suggestions
and sympathy.

As it turns out, I spent many hours testing Windows 2000 with FrameMaker,
Acrobat, Quadralay WWP, and several other pieces of software. I wrote a
report describing all the problems, and explaining why I had no more time
to continue testing. It must have sounded pretty much like an ultimatum,
because the VP assigned a software engineer to continue. Surprise! Except
for one small detail, he came up with the same findings that I did - that
is, FrameMaker and Acrobat seem to work OK (although our testing was
relatively simple), but you definitely can't create online help with
Quadralay WWP without a new Adobe printer driver that doesn't exist yet.

Now that my report was confirmed by a software engineer, our VP is
convinced. We are now officially free to go back to our regularly scheduled
deadline crunch. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my original SOS.

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation and Translation
Longview Solutions Inc.