RE: portfolio again - clarification

Subject: RE: portfolio again - clarification
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:28:58 -0500

I've seen a lot of good ideas in this Portfolio thread, but I have one issue
I haven't seen addressed.

I'm a little leery of accepting portfolios as showing me anything useful
about a candidate because I believe I was burned by an alleged writer who, I
believe, faked or stole his portfolio. When he got on the job, he quickly
established himself as someone who knew far less than I expected based on
what he passed off as his work.

Probably I didn't do a good enough job of interviewing him. Certainly I've
gotten better with my overall approach to hiring writers, but I question
whether a portfolio really tells me anything about the person showing it to
me. It seems to me to be too easy for someone to pass of work as theirs
when they may not have done anything in the document.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Tom Murrell