RE: portfolio questions

Subject: RE: portfolio questions
From: Kay Robart <kay -dot- robart -at- integratedconcepts -dot- com>
To: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:13:19 -0600

I have been interviewing technical writers for years, and I would never ask
them to leave their portfolios. Sometimes these are the only samples of
their
work that they have, and I have heard too many stories of writers never
getting their samples back.

Usually I set up a team interview with my most experienced writers. We pass
the samples around to the members who are currently not interviewing and
make sure that everyone has a chance to spot read them while the applicant
is talking to someone else. By the time the applicant is ready to go, we are
finished with the samples. Of course we don't read them completely, but we
can see enough to get a good idea of the writer's skills.

Kay Robart