RE: RoboHELP as a single sourcing tool

Subject: RE: RoboHELP as a single sourcing tool
From: Andrew Becraft <AndrewB -at- ACCINT -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:37:11 -0500

My two cents:

MS Word > Framemaker > WebWorks Publisher > Nearly anything you want!

WebWorks does have a pretty steep learning curve, and if you're committed to
Word, then your only viable option is RoboHELP. Other tools, such as
Doc-to-Help, offer single-sourcing to print and WinHelp from Word, but
setting up a Doc-to-Help project can be a nightmare, and localizing
Doc-to-Help projects can be very costly.

<snip>
context-sensitive Help files, printed documentation, PDF files,
and HTML.
</snip>

Even if you have to tweak the WinHelp for context-sensitivity after
outputting from Frame>WWP, the controls Frame offers as the single source --
variables, conditional text, etc. -- are infinitely superior to anything
Word has to offer, even with RoboHELP sitting on top of it.

Let me know off-list if you want more details or clarification.

Best,

Andrew Becraft
Technical Writer