re: learning to think

Subject: re: learning to think
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:14:02 +0100

I think Elna points out an interesting problem. Universities are
designed to help students learn to think, but the job market wants them
to know tools. Asside from the fact that I think that US employers are
shortsighted in thinking too much about tools, this doesn't much help
new graduates.

Hense, do an internship, students. It will save you a lot of trouble
later even if it causes some in the "short term." (Bad pun).

Consider this: I had so much trouble getting a "real" job after college
that I did an "internship" after graduating. Yep. It cost me 6 months.
But guess what? After that, getting a job was pretty easy.

By the way, if you can't find an internship through official channels.
There are organizations who could use your writing (and thinking
skills). They too can offer you the opportunity to create a portfolio.
Practically any organization can have a need for procedures,
explanations, descriptions, etc.

Volunteer, get involved. Volunteer, get involved. It's a sort of mantra
you should get used to when looking for work. And maybe even when not.

Brian