Re: Blue Collar Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Blue Collar Tech Writers
From: "Mike Starr" <writstar -at- wi -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 22:01:05 -0600

you say...
> Mike Stockman said:
>
> ...where the client/employer wants it done quickly and efficiently,
there's
> just no time for discussing theory, developing style guides, working up
> metrics,and other academic niceties.
>
> Tony Markatos:
>
> Right, as long as the client does not want the documentation to be
> effective. (Note: I don't consider widely recommended project planning
> tasks to be niceties.)

And Mike Starr responds:

There are some of us out here who have developed enough documentation
that we can just do it without formal project plans, theory, style guides
or metrics. That's the value of experience.

Formal project plans, theory, style guides and metrics are mightily
useful for those who're completely bewildered and need someone to sit on
their shoulders and guide them through every step of the process. Those
of us with sufficient experience already know what needs to be done and
we just go ahead and do it. Sometimes we do things we're not told to do,
just because we know it's the right thing to do. Other times we don't do
things we're told to do because we know they're counterproductive.
Sometimes we get given the heave-ho from organizations that insist on
spending more time on process than on production.

Mike

Mike Starr - WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator
Graphic Designer - Desktop Publisher - MS Office Expert
Telephone (262) 694-0932 - Pager (414) 318-9509 - mailto:writstar -at- wi -dot- net