Re: Word 97 to PDF question

Subject: Re: Word 97 to PDF question
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Linda McCulloch-Smith" <LMcCulloch-Smith -at- lgc -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:15:58 -0500

If you're asking how you can make distiller automatically install bookmarks
from Word, the answer is "you can't". Word doesn't do PDFMark. Frame does,
and I think now PageMaker does.

If you're asking how to make distiller boot instead of printing through
PDFWriter (which is a printer driver, actually), you should install
Distiller Assistant as a new printer. Then when you want it to boot, you
print to it, just as you would to any other printer. Assistant then boots
Distiller.

One word of advice...have DA running when you select it. I've had it
frequently fail to boot, but if I had it already running, everything worked.

PDFWriter doesn't give you the control over things that DA does, such as
compression and optimization. It's intended as a quick-and-dirty solution.
Even with DA, you'll still have to install links yourself.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com