Re: on "CAN", was Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable.

Subject: Re: on "CAN", was Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable.
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> The second set have different meanings to the reading. I'm having
> trouble
> expressing the difference understandably in written format,

The difference seems simple:
The first set informs you that you are able to perform the tasks.
The second set tells you to perform the tasks.

My re-write of example 1 would be:

"Change the circuit being tested without exiting and reentering
the BlahTest module."

But a better "can-free" alternative would be "You do not have to exit and
reenter the BlahTest mode to change the circuit being tested."

Personally, I don't see what is wrong with "can"

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk
iainh -at- cix -dot- co -dot- uk