Am I employable?

Subject: Am I employable?
From: tf -at- malcolmsmith -dot- net
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:59:14 +0200 (EET)

Howdy List,

This is my first post, so take it easy on me! Maybe you guys can
provide some insight about what I need to finally land that tech
writing job.

- I have a BA in Technical Writing
- I have decent computer skills: I maintain a website that I
hand-coded, I've written a few scripts, I use Linux.
- I'm a pretty good writer in general (though rusty at the moment)
- I'm an all-around great guy :-)

I'm sure the employers on this list are just chomping at the bit.
Here are some "problem areas":

- My resume is terrible. It's old, has nothing but coursework and
unrelated experience on it.
- I don't really know the tools. FrameMaker? Ack. Word? Haven't
messed with a Microsoft product in a while...
- The skills I have, I can't easily define.

If I get any response from this post, I suspect it will be of a "you
can't get there from here" variety--but I thought I'd throw it out
there, anyway.

Thanks!

-Tom