Re[2]: The Real Offense

Subject: Re[2]: The Real Offense
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:14:36 -0500

At 03:30 PM 03/10/2000 -0600, Harry Hager wrote:
>How do you go about finding out the background of the
>persons writing the books on "a variety of languages,
>hardware, and software" you rely on to do your job?

Programming is a surprisingly small field. In my "old" language, most of
us knew each other ... We met when speaking at international conferences,
local users' groups, etc., or when visiting someone's area (e.g., I wrote a
technical column which included a telephone number, and received numerous
calls to meet for lunch when folks visiting here in NYC). And we were all
pretty vocal about what we did and did not like.

I'm now mastering a new language. I bought numerous books based upon
feedback on newsgroups. (In some cases, I bought books written BY people
who had offered help on those groups, and who clearly knew what they were
doing.)

I couldn't care less who writes the technical books I buy. All I care about
is quality.
However, if I see that the book was written by someone who clearly hadn't
known anything about books in other languages I've used, I'm certainly not
going to buy any more of his work.

"Scottie" (The Scottish Terrier Lover)
Origami_Art -at- onelist -dot- com (folding, framing, using beautiful origami)
QuilledArt -at- onelist -dot- com (exquisite paper filigree, framed or 3-D)
Scherenschnitte -at- onelist -dot- com (cheap, beautiful paper cutting art)