RE: Anyone seriously using JavaHelp?

Subject: RE: Anyone seriously using JavaHelp?
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Ward Rosenberry" <wardr -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:55:39 -0800

Ward Rosenberry asked:

| Is anyone using JavaHelp for a production application? I am testing
| WebWorks Publisher 2000's ability to produce JavaHelp and find the
| JavaHelp display engine too buggy (and slow) for my taste.
|
| I'm now testing slimmed down JavaHelp (secondary windows with no / minumum
| graphics) to see if it's any more satisfactory.

We've been quite successful creating JavaHelp systems for production
applications. We are also using WebWorks Publisher, and, although there are
limitations in the JavaHelp viewer, I've found we can work around them and
produce quite acceptable results. Life is better if you can work in a JDK
1.2.x/Swing 1.1.1 environment, but even with JDK 1.1.8 and Swing 1.1, we've
produced good results.

The JavaHelp display engine is a bit slow. No question about that. But we
haven't found very many "bugs" per se. What bugs have you been encountering?

Regards,

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer