RE: Ghost Writing/Publication Credit

Subject: RE: Ghost Writing/Publication Credit
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 20:31:44 -0500

Kelly Parr [SMTP:KParr -at- c-bridge -dot- com] wrote:
>Although I did all the research and 90% of the writing and
>editing (before it went to the publisher, of course), someone
>else's name will be in the byline as the subject matter expert (which he
*is*).

I don't have a clue, but on the Dorothy-L mystery lovers' mailing list
(which includes a lot of mystery authors), there has been a lot of
discussion about ghost writers. From what I understand, Steve Allen's
mysteries were ghostwritten, but the ghostwriter never signed a
non-disclosure agreement, so his involvement is common knowledge (at least,
in the writing community). Conversely, rumors fly that someone has
ghostwritten Margaret Truman's books -- but, that they had to sign a strict
nondisclosure agreement, so cannot divulge their involvement.

Accordingly, you might want to check to see whether or not your contract
says anything about non-disclosure, and perhaps check the aforementioned
list's archives (http://listserv.kent.edu/archives/dorothyl.html) to see
whether or not the discussion seems applicable.

Good luck!