punctuation and procedure titles...

Subject: punctuation and procedure titles...
From: "Angela Pollak" <angela -dot- pollak -at- sybase -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:57:12 -0500

Do you punctuate procedural titles with a colon? For example, which of the
following would you say is correct:

To <fry an egg>:
1. blah blah.
2. blah blah blah.

To <fry an egg>
1. blah blah.
2. blah blah blah.

And what is your reasoning?

My apologies if this has been discussed before... I've exhausted my
resources on the subject matter and they are anything but conclusive.
Roughly half said it is correct, and the other half said it is incorrect.
Some based the decision on opinion, some on snippets of grammar rules that
may or may not be relevant to the field of software documentation. I even
asked two grammarians and they both came up with opposite answers. Oops.

I'm no further ahead than when I started looking into the subject :-}

Thanks

~A~