RE: a vs. an

Subject: RE: a vs. an
From: Meredith Denton-Hedrick <mdenton-hedrick -at- finle -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:59:17 -0600

Jo Byrd wrote:

> I was always taught you use "an" before words beginning with
> "h," so "an
> historical moment" IS grammatically correct.

Quoting from my American Heritage Dictionary (second edition, 1985):

"Usage: _A_ is used before a word beginning with a consonant (_a frog_) or a
consonant sound (_a university_); _an_ is used before a word beginning with
a vowel (_an egg_) or a vowel sound (_an hour_). _An_ should not be used
before words like _historical_ and _hysterical_ unless the _h_ is not
pronounced, a practice now uncommon in American speech."

I use underscores above to indicate italicized text.

Meredith

--
Meredith Denton-Hedrick, Technical Writer
FINLE Technologies, a division of KLA-Tencor