The Real Offense

Subject: The Real Offense
From: DowningLst -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:16:10 EST

A few days ago, Andrew Plato lamented the way that some tech writers ?

<<Rather than actually writing, obsess over HOW to write (structure,
format, organize, etc.) Rather than struggle to understand a complex design,
worry about HOW to organize the pitiful information available into a system
that LOOKS like you understand.

It is the ultimate employment procrastination defense - rather than be
effective, worry and TALK about being effective. In the process - nothing
useful is accomplished except FEELING like something important was done.>>

I agree that lots of writer are guilty of anguishing over theory, methodology, and technique, at the expense of getting their work done. I?ve even committed that offense a number of times. However, Andrew seemed to be accusing these folks of knowingly and deliberately aggrandizing themselves at the expense of whatever job needs to be done. I think it more likely that these folks went through some type of academic training program, and have yet to learn that the demands of a real-world job are different than those of the classroom In a classroom, you?re supposed to examine theories, methods, etc., while in the real world, you?re supposed to get the job done ASAP. The writers Andrew complains about may simply be laboring under a mistaken impression of what is the right thing to do.

(If you respond and want me to see it immediately, your best bet is to send or copy it off-list to DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com)