RE: a vs. an

Subject: RE: a vs. an
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:29:42 -0700

Lots of people are saying:

> > Is this a British convention
> > that we've taken into American usage?
>
> No, it's simply wrong.

and I'm trying really hard to avoid this whole issue, but I can't anymore.

Grammar doesn't have prescriptive rules. 'an historical' is correct in some
cultural and linguistic circles, and 'a historical' in others. Both circles
are capable of adapting sufficiently to figure out the intent of the
expression.

I have much better things to be smug and self-righteous about, personally.

Lisa.