Re: Do Users Refer to a Table of Figures?

Subject: Re: Do Users Refer to a Table of Figures?
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:51:23 -0800

> <<My experience suggests that a good index and table of contents are far
> more
> useful, and that for most users, a table of figures is just a waste of trees
> and bytes.>>

I tend to agree that the List of Figures and List of Tables is a waste of
effort. However I have occasionally seen users who really do use both when
they're trying to find something. Note, however, that these people are a very
small minority of users.

What has happened with Frame's default use of List of Figures and List of
Tables included in the options you can get along with TOC and index is that it
has legitimized something previously considered superfluous, except in special
situations like MilSpec and other esoteric writing environments. And because it
was available, people setting up templates in Frame about 15 years ago thought
that they should be included - after all, Frame was better than previous word
processing packages. And the rest of us got kinda swept along in the trend.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems