Re: FWD: Seeking assistance-contract rates

Subject: Re: FWD: Seeking assistance-contract rates
From: Lindsay -dot- Doyle -at- firstunion -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:12:12 -0500

Elna Tymes wrote:
>I've never heard of a contract for technical writing that paid overtime. My
experience has been that 40 hrs/week is what's expected, although there may be
more or less at times. The client may actually want more hours from a
contractor, especially in the view of some that contractors are there only for special
purposes and that >40 hrs/wk is part of the game for them.<

I work as a technical writer on a contract basis in Charlotte, NC. I am not on staff
with the consulting company that I am working through; as such, I get paid an hourly rate.
I am paid straight-time for every hour that I work, whether it's 30 hours or 50. I do not
receive an overtime rate for hours over 40 as my time and a half rate would be more than
the hourly rate that the consulting company charges the client. This has been the
arrangement for every contract that I have had during the past two years in Charlotte, and
I have worked through different consulting companies for each contract.

That said, I am confident that contractors that are on staff (salaried employees) with
a contracting/consulting company have different arrangements.

Lindsay Randolph Doyle